- Cone 06-04 low-fire dry casting slip
- Fires white at cone 04
- Prepares (2) 5 gallon buckets of slip
- Just add water and deflocculant
ABF Casting Slip is a cone 06-04 low-fire dry casting slip which, when fired in an electric kiln to cone 04, results in a nice whiteware. Needs to be deflocculated when mixed with water.
One 50 lbs. bag prepares (2) 5 gallon buckets of slip. To prepare casting slip we recommend the following recipe:
- In (1) 5 gallon bucket, add 2.5 gallons of water, 15 grams of soda ash and 2 fluid ounces of sodium silicate. These are minimum requirements. You may need to add more to achieve the optimal viscosity.
- Add 25 lbs. or half of a bag of ABF Casting Slip to above water mixture.
- For best results, blunge or mix for at least an hour although some artists will mix 12-24 hours. This helps to remove air bubbles and to blend the sodium silicate and soda ash with the clay for proper decflocculation.
- With a hydrometer, measure specific gravity after mixing. We recommend a specific gravity of 1.75. Adjust with water or sodium silicate to thin or deflocculate more.
All of ABF clay bodies are manufactured at the Clay Business. 50 lbs. dry bag.